12 October 2012

The Victoria and Albert Museum

Hello there! Today's post is about one magical place in London. It's called the Victoria and Albert Museum, or simply, the V&A.

It's the world's greatest museum focused on art and design. I made sure to stop by on my very first trip to London many years ago. And I thought, it was time that we were reunited.

Earlier that day, I had come from the Tate Britain and I had very little time to explore the V&A {they close at 5:45 pm daily, except Fridays}. This wasn't a very good idea, squeezing two museums into one day, because of the overload of information/visual stimulation, and it just leaves you hurried. I like museum visits to be slow, just taking your time exploring one room to the next. But such is the life of a tourist -- need to maximize each precious day!

Anyway, notice the spikes at the museum entrance?

They're really inverted traffic cones painted black and white. Blah to TADA!, right? This shows that the museum has a cool sense of humor.

Right past security is the foyer with this glass chandelier hanging from the cupola by Dale Chihuly. Isn't it gorgeous?

Also in the main lobby are these chairs that spin like tops when you sit in them. Quite fun! 

I'm not a fashion blogger but I'm one to appreciate beautifully designed and meticulously sewn clothing.

So I decided to check out the exhibit Ballgowns: British Glamour Since 1950, showing off ballgowns, red carpet frocks and catwalk designs by talents like Alexander McQueen, Jenny Packham and Hussein Chalayan. It's on-going and runs through January 6, 2013. I have no photos to share, but you can read more about the exhibit here and get tickets here.

The V&A has an extensive fashion collection. Below are a few photos of the newly renovated Fashion Galleries:

Photos of mannequins dressed in couture, projected on the gallery's walls.


A history lesson on fashion through the years: 




The limited time I had at the V&A was blah
but all the things I saw was TADA!

I'm already looking forward to my return
and will definitely pop into the cafe'.

Look, even the museum shop is mind-blowing!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!